Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I vote for... Beer - Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

Today being election day in the United States, I am reminded just how unpolitical I am. Hearing people discuss the merits of their candidates, I am even more convinced that I should not join in. I figure I am not passionate, articulate or persuasive enough (my wife takes great pride in letting people know that I "have no game") to convince someone to think like I do and giving a hazzah to those who already think like me seems like a waste of time. A side note, if I "have no game", what does that say about her? I digress.

I do get inspired with the political process when I think back to the greatest triumph of the human spirit and of the suffrage movement, in 1933 with the repealing of the 18th amendment with the ratification of the 21st amendment. For those unfamiliar, the 18th amendment prohibited alcohol. What a sad time it must have been for America to not be able to drown its collective sorrows with some beers during the period of 1920-1933. Brave Americans took to the polls to defeat the forces of evil that had plagued this great land for more than 10 years. I was very surprised to see that there is still a Prohibition party in the US and they even have a Presidential candidate, Lowell "Jack" Fellure from West Virginia. Needless to say, this guy did not get my vote.

As I will be stationed in front of my television watching the election results this evening, I decided that I should exercise my rights under the 21st amendment and enjoy a beer, or beers. The one I will profile is a delegate from the great state of Colorado and the Breckenridge Brewery, specifically their Vanilla Porter.


Appearance: Beer poured a dark brownish black color with a thin khaki colored head that quickly dissipated. Some moderate carbonation was noted and there was some patchy lacing.

Smell: A typical porter smell at the start with the roasted malt notes. This porter was brewed with vanilla beans, but the aroma did not give off much in the way of the vanilla smell. I did get a burnt aroma however.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The vanilla beans come through much more on the taste. Lots of vanilla noted on the finish and again with a burnt sweet flavor. It had a real sugary sweet flavor quality also. The mouthfeel was on the heavier side of medium with a definite syrup consistency to it.

Overall: All in all, not a bad porter. Having the vanilla flavor does take the edge off of the typical malt and chocolate flavors. This one may be a little too sweet for my liking though. I do prefer the regular flavor profile of a typical porter. For more information about this beer, please see Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

As you watch the election results this evening, I hope that all your candidates win. I know this is not possible, but my favorite candidate already won a victory in 1933. Congratulations beer for a hard fought win and many good times since you have been in office.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment