Sunday, January 27, 2013

DIY - Brooklyn Brewshop Bruxelles Blonde


A couple of years ago before getting more serious about my beer pastime, I briefly considered trying to brew my own. For those who know me are aware that I am not very handy. I am not so much a DIY (Do it yourself) guy, but more of a PFC (pay for convenience) guy. I have not even owned a lawnmower since moving to Lafayette more than 8 years ago. 

I quickly realized that what I like most about beer is drinking it, and I likely do not have the patience for the process of brewing. However now that I have been concentrating on trying as many different craft beers as I can find, I have gained so much respect for what these guys create, I have decided to dip my toes into the beer making water and try it myself. 

While putting my Christmas list together in November, I noticed some inexpensive beer making kits on the Williams-Sonoma website and decided to make a request. Luckily my wife was supportive of my attempt at a new hobby and bought me Bruxelles Blonde beer making kit from the Brooklyn Brewshop, as well as a book of recipes for other beers. They say, if you can cook oatmeal then you can brew beer at home. Unlike for yard work, I am pretty handy in the kitchen.

The kit was only $40 and included most of the items needed to brew at home. This includes a fermenting jug, thermometer, the grains, hops and yeast and most importantly some sanitizer. Somewhat to my surprise, keeping the tools sanitized is the most important part of the process. 

For those who have brewed at home, or are familiar with the process the step by step that I will now show may not be necessary, but I am hoping to illustrate how simple and non-intimidating home brewing can be. These steps assume that everything has been cleaned properly. 


Step 1. Cooking the grains, mash. This took about an hour



Step 2. Sparge. The cooked grains in a strainer over a pot. Pour water over them. 

Step 3. Boil the wort (water from the grains). 1 hour

Step 4. Add hops during the boil. Not looking like what you would think. 

Step 5. Cooling the wort after the boil

Step 6. Fermenting Jug. Add yeast to the jug and shake (not pictured). This starts the beer making.

Step 7. Fermentation jug after two weeks stored in a cool dark place

Step 8. Bottling with help from an assistant. Bottled with honey for some carbonation

Step 9. 10 bottles of beer on the wall. To sit for another 2 weeks

So the beer has another few days to hang out in the bottles, honest review to come in a few days when they are ready. I did take a look and smell when I was bottling it and it looked and smelled like beer so I feel pretty good about that. Even if this one turns out to not be a winner, I have already committed to trying a few other batches, courtesy of other Brooklyn Brewshop mixes. 

Maple Porter in guest room closet

Full disclosure, the bottles, caps and additional sanitizer were extra, but now that I am committed, it is well worth the expense to be able to say, "I made that."

For more information and some good instructional videos about home brewing please see Brooklyn Brewshop

Cheers!




1 comment:

  1. That Maple Porter looks really promising. If you want to take the next step, check out www.reddit.com/r/homebrewing. They have a huge community of homebrewers who are really friendly to newcomers.

    ReplyDelete