Sunday, September 9, 2012

Cheers to Birthday Beers

This past weekend, specifically Saturday, was my birthday. In order to celebrate, Margaret and I went to New Orleans for among other things, to run the NFL Back to Football Saints 5K on Saturday morning.
This is me prior to the start of the race, and yes I wear those short running shorts. Give me a break, these races can be hot. The course was through downtown, a quick trip to the French Quarter and finishing on the 50 yard line of the field in the Superdome. This was without a doubt, the coolest 5K race I have ever run. Runners appeared on the big screen as they crossed the finish line and there were additional timing pads installed on the 10 yard line so participants could have their 40 yard dash times captured. Unfortunately, the nice weather we are now experiencing in south Louisiana did not come in time for the race. It was a hot one.

That evening, Margaret and I went to dinner with my brother and sister-in-law at Midway Pizza on Frerret Street in the Uptown section of New Orleans. The name would lead one to believe that it makes "Chicago" style pizza, Midway being the name of an airport in Chicago. Their pizza was deep dish, but not exactly Chicago style. However they did have an impressive selection of local and regional craft beers.
Nola Brewery's 7th Street Wheat

Brooklyn Brewery Seasonal
Chilled pint glasses are not really conducive to getting the complete flavor of the beer, so it will be pictures only this time. I can report that they were both tasty. 

After dinner, the four of us met Margaret's cousin Philip and some of his friends at his neighborhood bar, the Rendon Inn. I had been to the Rendon Inn before, but it was only 1 time and it was at least 13 years ago. As I remember it, this place was a dive and did not make our regular bar rotation while we were in college. Much to my surprise, the place was nothing like I remembered. The interior was updated and made for a much nicer atmosphere than the last time I went.

Even more to my surprise was the selection of beers they had. My brother, Phil (only slightly confusing that my twin brother and Margaret's cousin are both named Philip) and I had between us, St. Arnold Santo (readers know this is a favorite of mine), Jefferson Stout, and the Sam Adams Octoberfest pictured below.

The new Rendon Inn was quite different than the old place. Making it even better is the fact that we walked from Philip's house there, only two blocks away. I have always wanted to live in a place with a neighborhood bar within walking distance. We will definitely be going back to this place.

It was a great birthday and weekend. Lots of good meals and beers and even a little exercise so I won't feel so bad about myself when I step on the scale in the morning. It was also nice to be able to spend it with my brother Phil.

The Birthday Boys

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Matt,
    Next time your in New Orleans you have to check out The Avenue Pub theavenuepub.com on St Charles if you haven't been there yet. Tons of great draft and bottled craft beer.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, I have heard of the virtues of the Avenue Pub, but have never been. Their menu looks very impressive. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete