Friday, September 14, 2012

Is summer over yet? - Anchor Summer Beer

The date on the calendar and cooler temps outside these days (upper 80's for highs instead of 90's) are both indications that summer is almost over. Folks in south Louisiana know better than to assume that just because it may be the fall season around the corner that the hot days are behind us. As most of the breweries are now putting out their fall seasonal beers, such as Octoberfest or Pumpkin beers, I found myself with a summer seasonal still in the fridge and figured I should make way for the new season.

The summer beer in question is the Anchor Summer Beer, which I picked up at my local Albertson's store. This is the fifth beer I have tried from the Anchor brewery, the others being the iconic Anchor Steam, Liberty Ale, Anchor Porter and Berkle's Brown Ale.


Appearance: Beer poured a crystal clear golden color with lots of carbonation. Even more impressive was the pillow soft white head. I have yet to see a wheat beer with this kind of fluffy head or one with such good retention. As would be expected, nice lacing was present.

Smell: Nothing stands out from an aroma standpoint. I did pick up some yeasty smells, but nothing complex.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Some wheat characteristics were present on the palate, including some lemony flavor near the end. The mouthfeel on this one was impressive. Due to the color it has a light mouthfeel, but was almost creamy due to the head retention. Although it had a light mouthfeel, it had enough wheat presence to not be watery.

Overall: Very refreshing and drinkable beer. Very impressed with the appearance and flavor that was just enough, not too complex or watery. I prefer this one to the Abita Golden wheat beer I had reviewed previously. This may rival the Anchor Steam for my favorite Anchor beer. For more info on this beer, please see Anchor Summer Beer

With the football season started fall will be here soon. I am glad that I have one more nod to summer before the season turned.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment