Monday, February 11, 2013

A brief note about customer service - Brewstock New Orleans

Margaret, the girls and I went to New Orleans for the weekend to celebrate Mardi Gras. Saturday was spent uptown watching two day time parades with the girls, but more importantly, Sunday I rode in the Krewe of Thoth.




I am the good looking Elvis on the right side of the picture. This was my second year riding and it reminded me why I signed up for another year after my first ride. While watching the parades on Saturday, it occurred to me that riding in a parade is much more fun than watching one. This may not be a revelation to any of you, but as one of my former Arthur Andersen colleagues used to tell me, "I'm not a smart man."

With the festivities ended Sunday night, we planned to head back home today. However, before traveling home I had a mission to perform for a home brewing friend of mine. This friend brews on a much larger scale than the one gallon batches I have made so far. Instead of using a ready made one pound grain kit, he need a 50 lb. bag of malt and some yeast. In order to accomplish this mission I went to a store called Brewstock in uptown New Orleans.

I had heard of the store but had only looked at their website. I had planned to get my friend's requirements and see what kinds of small batch (one gallon) kits they had. Unfortunately they did not have the yeast my friend needed, but they did have something even better for me, great service. I mentioned wanting to get some small kits and the store employee (I think he may be the owner) explained that he could custom make one based on any style. He put together a two gallon stout kit. He also did not make me feel like I was a novice, although I am.

Sometimes I find that people who are experts on a certain subject have a tendency to look down upon or talk condescendingly to those who do not possess their knowledge. This was certainly not the case at Brewstock. He answered my questions and made me feel like I belonged there. Even better, my custom 2 gallon kit cost less than the 1 gallon kits I have been making. This place will be my brewing supply store from now on.

For more info on Brewstock, please see Brewstock

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment