Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Happy Mardi Gras - LA-31 Courir de Mardi Gras

Those who do not live in south Louisiana or the Gulf Coast region may not know the significance of the two week period that ends next Tuesday. Those in this area know this is Mardi Gras season. Mardi Gras translates from French to Fat Tuesday. Although it is more than just one day, the name is fairly self explanatory. The point of the season is to party and gorge oneself prior to the lenten season of fasting and sacrifice that starts the day after Fat Tuesday on Ash Wednesday.

There are many ways to celebrate the season and they vary from city to small towns in south Louisiana. Obviously the most famous of these celebrations takes place in New Orleans. It comes complete with dozens of parades, some with celebrity grand marshals.  It also includes scenes of drunken louts bartering to get a look at some female flesh in exchange for some beads in the French Quarter. Unfortunately for some, this is the first image that is conjured up upon hearing the words Mardi Gras.

Obviously there are more tame spots to celebrate the season. Folks in southwestern Louisiana, near where I reside spend Mardi Gras day chasing live chickens on horseback. I kid you not. No matter the tradition, the point is having a good time. For me this usually means having a cold beer. Luckily for me, the good folks at the Bayou Teche Brewing company have created a seasonal beer perfect for the season, the Courir de Mardi Gras.


Appearance: Beer pours a clear, dark side of golden color with lots of carbonation. A thin white head dissipates quickly but leaves some nice lacing on the glass. You will also see on the label the aforementioned masked reveler on horseback who has caught the illusive chicken.

Smell: A bready yeasty aroma was the only scent that I picked up on.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The beer had a medium plus mouthfeel with that carbonation notable. I picked up the bready flavors as well as some banana sweetness. The finish was dry and had the slightest bit of hops noted as well.

Overall: This one was a solid beer. The more I try from Bayou Teche, the more I like. I prefer their seasonals, Acadie and this one better than their regular ones. This is a highly drinkable one and not overpowering in any way, but still good flavor present. For more information on Bayou Teche Brewing Company, please see Bayou Teche

So you may be wondering, how am I going to celebrate the season. Besides drinking good beers like this one, I am riding in a parade in New Orleans on Sunday morning, the Krewe of Thoth. For those in the New Orleans area this weekend for the festivities, I will be on Float 7, the Elvis float. I will be on the sidewalk (passenger) side on the lower level near the front. Feel free to give me a shout. "Throw me something mister." Feel free to say Matt since we know each other so well.

Hail Thoth!, errr...

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment