Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Lists, lists, lists - Top 50 Craft Beers of 2013

Who doesn't love lists? Seriously? Not your daily To Do list of tasks at work or chores at home, I mean the subjectively compiled top or bottom something of all time lists. The kinds that spark debate and protest from fans everywhere. The top 100 One-hit wonders of the 1980's on VH1 is a particular favorite of mine. Although for my money A-Ha's "Take on Me" should be #1, not Dexys Midnight Runner's "Come on Eileen." Take a look and decide for yourself. I digress.

You probably have guessed it, beers are not immune to the lists either. My cousin, Philip, tipped me off to the list of the Top 50 craft beers of 2013, which can be found here. The most ironic thing about this one is that he does not even like beer.

If you choose to take a gander, you will see the list is dominated by a few West Coast breweries with several entries, including the Russian River Brewing Company that I just visited last week. I am somewhat proud to admit that I have had 13 of the beers listed. This is source of pride and disappointment (or as my coach at work would call it, "an opportunity"). Being only 26% of the list, I have a way to go. I would agree that this is an opportunity.



For the record, below is the list of the 13 I have tried:

48 (tie). Ommegang Three Philosophers
39 (tie). Left Hand Milk Stout
30. Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
27 (tie). Green Flash West Coast IPA
25. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
19. Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale
15. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
12 (tie). Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
9 (Tie). Sierra Nevada Celebration
8. Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye
7. Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale
3. Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA
1. Russian River Pliny The Elder







Agree or disagree with the list. There are some very tasty beers on it and I plan to mark some more off.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment