Monday, July 8, 2013

Full Circle - Yards Brawler

This past week, Margaret and I visited Scotland. This was the first time for both of us and we reunited with some great friends that used to live in the states and are natives. We were able to see places that regular tourists will likely never venture to. We had a great time and had some great beers. Updates from the trip to come.

However, the most important site I saw as it relates to the blog, was located in the US, in an airport no less. The inspiration for the blog came to me last year when Margaret, her cousin Philip and I were flying to London to visit Betsy, Margaret's cousin and Philip's sister. We had a layover in Philadelphia and had dinner. While having dinner, I had a beer from a local Philadelphia brewery called Yards Brewery, specifically the Brawler. Here is the entry from last year Inspirational Beer.

So being that we had a similar layover in the same airport on this trip, I figured I would recreate a little beer magic and have the beer that set me on the beer blogging path. Margaret and I went to the same restaurant in the A terminal. Somethings were different this time. First, it was just the two of us. Second, my beer came with a cold pint glass, which in and of itself is not a big deal, but it changed the taste that I remembered from last year. It was still a good beer, but this was certainly the case of the surrounding events making the beer taste better the first time around. Maybe it was the excitement of my first trip to the UK, or getting to try a new regional beer for the first time, but it just did not live up to the memory of the first one.

Luckily for me, there were many other beers to be had on this trip and good times that made them taste even better. That is what I get for chasing the memory of the right beer in the right place. 

One last thing I found while walking around the Philadelphia airport.

Apparently Philadelphia has a long history of craft brewing. 
They even have a craft beer festival every year. Too late for this year's, but we are looking into hitting one of these in the future. 

Cheers to the City of Brotherly Love (and Craft Beer)!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had been on that trip. Maybe it would have made your beer in the airport taste better.

    ReplyDelete