Monday, June 18, 2012

The beer that started it all...

In March of this year, my wife and I went to the UK to see her cousin and cousin's husband for a few days. We were also joined by another cousin that lives in the US. On our way to the "best cousin trip ever", we had a layover in the Philadelphia International airport. We had dinner there before departing for London.

As I am prone to do, I asked our waitress for a local beer. The above pictured beer, the Yards Brawler, is what she brought. As I was drinking it and subsequently another, I realized how much I enjoy trying unique beers from all over. It was during that dinner that I decided that a blog would be a good way to at the very least, catalogue them for my future reference, and at best, maybe attract some other ideas about what others like.

The Yards Brewery is a Philadelphia microbrew that produces 5 signature ales and a host of seasonal, limited runs and ones they call "Ales of the Revolution." The Brawler is described as a ,"pugilist style ale. Boasting superior taste and champion flavor, crafted in the style of English session ales."

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and I did not even know the significance of stumbling upon it on my way to England. I plan to sample others from this brewery.

For more information about the Yards Brewery, see the link below.

www.yardsbrewing.com

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Speaking of venturing off into new journeys, what was your first craft beer? The first one that showed you that there was much more to the world than bud light. For me, it was a trip with two of my buddies to the Red, White, and Brew in Hammond. Over 200 varieties of bottled beer amazed me. I was a bit scared at first so I went with the most american thing I could find that I hadn't heard of. It wasn't that spectacular, and I have had few since then. But, that Full Sail Pale Ale was the first step for me and I will always remember it. It wasn't so much the beer, but the conversations had over a few craft brews and overpriced gourmet pretzels that make great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great question. For the longest time, I would drink the usual stuff, or drink new beers with no regard of remembering them or seeking to learn more about them or the breweries they come from. However, about 2 years ago, one of Margaret's cousins got me 2 mix and match 6 packs from Martin's Wine Cellar for Christmas. The best part was that she did some research on the beers and the breweries and gave a little write up on them. It was probably the most thoughtful gift I have ever received.

    Don't get me wrong, they were not all winners, but one in particular, the He'brew Messiah Bold from the Schmalz brewery was my particular favorite. That inspired me to join a beer of the month club, which I have had a membership to off and on for the past 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story about discovering the Yards Brawler in the Philly airport reminded me of how I discovered Sam Adams Boston Lager - one of my all time favorties. I was stuck in the Pittsburg airport back in the mid to late 8os. As luck would have it I found a wateringhole close by and as luck would have it again, I was in the mood for a cold one. The bartender asked if I'd ever had a Sam Adams Boston Lager. The company hadn't been around that long back then and I'd never heard of it. I'm so glad I tried it. To this day, it's still my "go to" beer. Love me some Sam Adams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, that is exactly what I like about microbrews. There are great beers being brewed all over the world and one of them could be the next iconic beer. It just takes people willing to try something different to make the discoveries.

    ReplyDelete