Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A new place, an old beer

In my quest to find my next favorite beer, I will usually pick one I have not tried over a tried and true solid one. I guess that is the optimist in me. This may be the only phase of my life where I may be called an optimist. My theory is that I already know the upside potential of the beers I have tried, but a new one has unlimited potential.

I mention this because my wife and I tried a new restaurant for an early dinner this evening. The restaurant is called Acme Taco. It is a funky Mexican restaurant that bills itself as "Not your typical Mexican food." The place did not disappoint food wise. We were both thoroughly impressed. The salsa included in the picture was particularly good.

However the beer selection was not nearly as impressive. Aside from the buds and millers of the world, the only beer that somewhat appealed to me was the Abita Amber pictured. When we lived in Mandeville, we were within 5 miles of the brewery in Abita Springs. I regret that in our 3 years living there, we only went to the Abita brew pub one time. When I think microbrewery in Lousiana, I think Abita. They have several standard brews and several seasonal choices.

Their flagship beer, the Amber was as good as I remembered, and even seemed to taste better in the bottle. I know this is blasphemy, but it was good.


On our way home, we did stop at a local wine and beer store and I was able to pick out two new 6 packs (St. Arnold Spring Bock and LA 31 Boucanee). It is funny to me how at my age, I really look forward to picking out new beers. This for me is as good as Christmas. My fingers are crossed on these ones. If these don't work, I guess I will just do it again, because as Manfred Mann so eloquently sang in his immortal song, blinded by the light, "mama, that's where the fun is."


Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with a Manfred Mann quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even someone who is not a beer fan has to dig that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can never go wrong with Abita Amber. If I had to pick a go to beer in a pinch, it would be this one. I cannot remember a single time where I have ordered an Amber and left feeling disappointed.

    ReplyDelete