Saturday, June 23, 2012

Beer review take 1 - LA 31 Boucanee

Since one of the goals of this blog is to try to expose beer drinkers to new beers, I figured I need to find some way to describe what I like or don't like about the beers that I try. Having me say that I simply like a beer, or this beer sucks, is not that helpful.

Being the complete nerd that I am, I did some research on how to actually review a beer. This link shows an article I found on beer advocate that really makes it simple. http://beeradvocate.com/articles/637

It is a lot like wine tasting, which I have not mastered yet either. My wife and I recently had a nice dinner out during our beach vacation. The waiter brought the bottle of wine over and poured me some in my glass. I gave it my customary inconsistent swirling (a technique that you would think would be easy to do) and took a long sip, trying to leave the taste on my palate. My wife asked me what I was doing. She looked at me as if I was a complete moron and somehow lost the ability to swallow wine. I digress.

Back to the beer. If you recall from earlier in the week, I picked up a six pack of LA 31 Boucanee beer from a local beer and wine store. This beer comes from Bayou Teche brewery, which is located in Arnaudville, Louisiana, which is about 30 miles from where I live. The brewery uses cherry wood smoked wheat to make the Boucanee ale.

Appearance: The beer has a cloudy appearance in a glass and is the color of a light copper penny. The cream colored head dissipated quickly.

Smell: This is the hardest of the criteria for me to describe. It was only with the 2nd bottle that I really noticed how smokey the smell was. It had a burnt quality to it.

Taste: Much like with the smell, the burnt hop flavor was very pronounced. The hoppy flavor did linger on my tongue as is indicative of ales.

Mouthfeel: The beer had a light mouthfeel.

Overall: I did like this beer. The Bayou Teche website said that it would pair well with grilled hamburgers and I agree with them.

I am always looking for beers to add to my list of likes and it is even better that I can support a local small business at the same time. I would recommend this beer and will look to try the others from Bayou Teche brewery.

For more information see http://bayoutechebrewing.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment