Saturday, December 15, 2012

More North Carolina Beers

Even though my trip to the Tar Heel state was a few weeks ago, I am still making my way through the remaining inventory of new untried beers from their local brewers. I have two such beers to review, the Oatmeal Porter from Asheville's Highland Brewing and the Sweet Josie Brown Ale from Lonerider Brewing in Raleigh.

Highland Brewing Oatmeal Porter

Appearance: Cola color with a thin tan head that does not last long. Light carbonation was noted and patchy lacing was present.

Smell: Lots of roasted malt aroma as I have come to expect from a porter.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This beer had a noticeably heavier mouthfeel. The word viscous comes to mind with this one. As fas as flavor, I picked up on the malt and some dark chocolate notes. Lots of lingering bitterness up front on the finish that mellows as it warms.

Overall: This porter was a little on the bitter side for me. I did not get the smooth drinkable quality from this one as I have had with say the Sierra Nevada version. In the end, the bitterness was too much for me.

Lonerider Brewing Sweet Josie Brown Ale

Appearance: Beer poured a dark brown. Unlike the previous one, the appearance was somewhat clear and showed off prominent carbonation, which I found unusual for the dark beers I typically drink. Again a thin tan head that dissipates rapidly and left some patchy lacing.

Smell: Mostly a roasted malt aroms with this one.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Almost in complete contrast to the Highland beer, the mouthfeel on the Sweet Josie was thin and watery. The flavor was very mild with no bitterness and a faint chocolate flavor. This one was smooth and highly drinkable.

Overall: This beer seemed to just miss the mark. Although it was smooth and drinkable, it lacked a robust character and flavor. However, I would rate this one higher than the Nola Brown Ale that I have previously reviewed.

Although the beers reviewed are similar in appearance with dark tones and tan head, they are very contrasting with flavors. The Highland beer had too much bitterness for my liking and the Lonerider lacked some flavor. I guess the Mick Jagger was right when he sang, "you can't always get what you want." My quest continues, in the meantime, I will get what I need.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment