Thursday, August 16, 2012

2 months down - Top 5 Beers of the Month July/Aug

The old saying is time flies when you are having fun, or drinking beer in my case. The blog is already 2 months old and that means it is time for the top 5 beers of the month for July/August. Since the last time I did a top 5, I have learned a lot about what I am doing, tried some new styles that I really enjoy (Saison) and got over some preconceived notions about what types of beer I like and don't like (IPA).

In the past month I have tried and or reviewed 21 beers. Here is a list of my top five favorites:

5. Shiner Black Lager

  • One of the 6 beers included in the Shiner Family Reunion 6 pack that Pop brought back from his trip to San Antonio. A black lager with good carbonation and lacing, but minimal head. Nice coffee and malt notes, but not heavy like other dark beers. My favorite of the Shiner beers. http://www.shiner.com/main.php




4. Sweet Water IPA

  • A treat from my running partner who is from Atlanta. Not my usual style of beer, being an IPA, but was a milder version of the hopmonsters I usually associate with the style. No lingering hop flavor and a nice dry finish. Very refreshing. http://sweetwaterbrew.com/brews/ipa/



3. Nola Hurricane Saison




2. Sierra Nevada Stout

  • Part of a create your own 6 pack from The Fresh Market. Right up my alley with a dark flavorful beer with a nice head and lacing. Creamy mouthfeel and lots of roasted malt and chocolate flavor like a stout should taste. http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/stout.html


1. Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock

  •  A gift from a home brewer friend of mine. Creamy dark beer with good lacing and lots of roasted malt and caramel and chocolate flavor. No bitterness made this beer the beer of the month. http://en.ayinger-bier.de/?pid=118


Another month of sampling some great beers. I was happy to see that all top 5 beers were different types. I had a great time trying them, and I hope you enjoyed reading about them. Over 1,800 page views in 2 months and 10% from outside the US. It has gone way better than I could have imagined. Thanks for the support.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment