Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Reunited and it feels so good - SweetWater IPA

I mentioned previously that I am a runner. Runner may be a little generous. I have completed 6 half and 3 full marathons in the last 4 years, but what I was doing during those races could only loosely be called "running." A faster paced shuffle would be a more appropriate description. As you would imagine training for these races, even if not running fast, requires some discipline. I do confess, there is a lot of quit in me when it comes to running. I usually start off with great intentions to run a certain distance, but when times get tough, I have the less than admirable ability to cut a training run short, or even worse, convince myself that staying in the rack is a much better idea than sweating for an hour. Therefore some motivation is very helpful for a runner like me.

As luck would have it, about a year and a half ago, between my first and second marathons, I started running with a friend from work. She is a fantastic athlete, but was new to distance running. We both had something the other lacked, I could offer some advice from running longer races and she would provide me with the motivation to get out of the rack to do the training I needed to do. It is one thing to let myself down by not running, but totally another to let someone else down by canceling. Unlike myself, she does not have any quit in her. It is a mutually beneficial relationship, we even crossed the finish line together for her first marathon in March of this year. Unfortunately, since that race we have been less than consistent with our "running group," as I call it. My experience with running has shown me that marathons are true spring board events. They either convince people that they want to continue running as long as they can, or by burnout or injury, they shut it down. It was injury that stopped the regular meetings of the running group.

I am glad to report that after a few month hiatus, the running group is back together, with our first group run taking place this week. So you ask, what does this have to do with beer? Evidencing the mutually beneficialness of our group, my partner happens to be originally from Atlanta, GA. Atlanta happens to be home to the SweetWater Brewing company. Since her parents bring some of the SweetWater beer when they come to visit, she let me have some of their IPA to try.


Appearance: Beer had an orange golden color with some haziness to it. This one was highly carbonated with a quarter inch white head with some good retention. The head was pillowy soft, and the beer had terrific lacing.


I am getting to be a big fan of good lacing on a beer.

Smell: Beer had a floral and citrus hoppy aroma. Smell was pretty typical of IPAs I have had in the past.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Like the nose, this one had some citrus and piney hoppy flavor. Some slight lingering bitterness was noted, but not as strong other IPAs. The beer had a dry finish, but did not suck all the moisture out of my mouth like ones I have had in the past. Mouthfeel was medium with the high carbonation noted.

Overall: I am not much of a fan of the IPA style, preferring more brown ales, porters or stouts. This beer was a good example of an IPA that I can get behind. The hops were not overpowering on this one, which made it much more tolerable for me. It also did not weigh me down like some dark beers can. For more information on this beer, please see http://sweetwaterbrew.com/brews/ipa/

I am really glad to be getting the band back together on the running front. The beer that came with the membership renewal was a bonus. If only the heat would go away so I would enjoy sweating it out at 5:30am. At least it gives me an excuse to hydrate with good beers like this one. Thanks JPB.

Cheers!



1 comment:

  1. I was so excited to see an IPA! Frankly, I am a bit of a fan of those - as are a lot of people these days I guess. Sounds like one I should try although I prefer the nastier, super hopped versions.

    ReplyDelete