Thursday, August 2, 2012

Never look a gift beer in the mouth

One of the best and unexpected benefits of having a beer blog is that people sometimes bring me beers to try. This was the case a few weeks ago when a particular beer expert friend of mine gave me a couple to try. This friend is a brewer himself, so I respect his opinion a great deal. The first of the two beers is the Ayinger Brewery's Celebrator Doppelbock.


I knew I was in for a treat when I checked out beer advocate and saw that this beer has an almost perfect rating. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39/131. You can also see my review at that link, under the username Bishop_Collar.


Appearance: Beer poured a cola color with a quarter inch tan head. Nice carbonation was noted. Good lacing was present. Nice swirl of carbonation left on top as it was consumed. 

Smell: Roasted malt aroma noted. Caramel and chocolate notes more apparent as the beer warmed.

Taste: Nice malty flavor, no bitterness to speak of. More chocolate flavors noted near the end of the glass. 

Mouthfeel: Really creamy mouthfeel that coats the tongue. Carbonation is good as well. 

Overall: A smooth creamy beer. Liked the malty, chocolate flavor without the bitterness. This beer is an early contender for beer of the month. 



For more info on this beer, please see http://en.ayinger-bier.de/?pid=118


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment