Saturday, August 18, 2012

Rogue Dead Guy Ale and BPL Kickoff

Ok, my first time out with the Rogue Brewery from Newport, Oregon was not the best. Their Rogue Mocha Porter was less than what I was expecting. Hence my hesitation to try another of their beers that I had purchased a few weeks ago. I picked up their Dead Guy Ale at the Fresh Market and it has been sitting in my fridge since then.

On a recent evening, upon looking at my fridge supply, I came to the realization that I am running low on new beers in the inventory, hint hint readers. Margaret finds that hard to believe since still have a decent supply, but not much in the way of beers that I have not tried yet. I decided to give the Dead Guy Ale a shot.


Appearance: Beer poured a copper or amber color with a finger worth of an off white head. The beer had a slight haze as well. Good carbonation and lacing were also present.

Smell: This one had a yeasty aroma. Some banana smell was also noted.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The beer had a sweet malt flavor with some banana like the smell. Beer had a nice lingering finish, but minimal to no bitterness. A medium body with carbonation noted.

Overall: The Dead Guy Ale experience was way different than the one I had with the Mocha Porter. Nice carbonation, great appearance and a mild drinkability made this one a winner. I could certainly have more than one of these in a session.

You can't judge a brewery by just one beer. The Dead Guy Ale impressed me and has me more interested in other Rogue Ales, even if the first impression was not a great one. For more information on this beer, please see http://rogue.com/beers/dead-guy-ale.php.

On a non-beer note, today opens the Barclays Premiership season. For those who do not know what that is, it is only the best club football (soccer) league in the world, which happens to be played in England. Sounds like an excuse to down some pints this season.


Glory, Glory Man United! From me and Fred the Red.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment