Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sierra Nevada Stout

So after a long week at work, I needed a way to unwind. My usual solution, besides beer, is by running. I typically try to run in the morning to take advantage of the break in temps and sun baking that happens in the evenings here in South Louisiana. However, due to my laziness and desire to get more sleep, I ended up having to literally sweat it out in the 90+ degree temps after work.

I try to get in 3 runs a week in order to combat the beer weight gain. Oddly enough, that is one of the things that people warn me about when they hear that I have a beer blog, like I just decided recently that I like beer. It is not that my beer consumption has increased, now I just go through the beer dork routine of taking a picture and writing about the ones I try.

So what would someone have after a hot 4 mile run, a refreshing lighter beer? Not this smart guy, I had a Sierra Nevada Stout. I had picked up this one a few weeks ago at The Fresh Market as part of a make your own six pack.


Appearance: Beer poured a black color with one finger of tan head that stayed for a while. Cloudy appearance with some good carbonation. The beer had some terrific lacing as well. Check out this lacing.


Smell: This beer gives off a strong roasted malt aroma, typical of a stout. I also noted some coffee notes toward the end.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer has a creamy, heavy and full mouthfeel. Carbonation was not really noticeable. Lots of roasted malt flavor. Beer also had some chocolate and coffee elements as well. It does not have as much lingering bitterness as the most famous stout, Guinness. It finished with a dry smokey flavor.

Overall: I have said numerous times that stouts and porters are my favorite kinds of beers. This should be evidenced by the fact that I would have a stout after a run in the heat. I really liked this beer. I had previously had the Sierra Nevada Porter and I would say they are both excellent dark beers. I don't know if I could have more than one in a sitting due to the heaviness, but for a one beer night, this one was a winner.

For more info on this beer, please see http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/stout.html

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment