Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Almost all I got was this lousy T-shirt


Since my bachelor week is now over, with half of the family back home, the girls are still with their Nana on their way back from Florida, I thought it would be nice to show some of the things Margaret did on her trip to what she says was Montana. I am pretty sure it was Canada, and I think I can prove it. 


Margaret spent last week visiting her best friend, Darcy, who lives in Whitefish, Montana. She had a fabulous time enjoying the terrific weather, and beautiful landscapes. 


However, the highlight of her trip for me was the fact that Whitefish has its own craft brewery, the Great Northern Brewery. On the second day of the trip Margaret texted me several pictures of the good times and beers they were having there. This is called the Good Medicine Imperial Spring Ale. 


I will admit, I was quite jealous of the good times and good beers that they were having without me. But since Margaret is supportive of my hobby, she brought a 6 pack of assorted beers from the Great Northern home, along with this snazzy blue T-shirt that I am modeling along with a SnowGhost Winter Lager. Special thanks for Darcy's beer transportation engineering that kept all 6 in tact through 3 flights home. 



Since I now have several new beers to report on, I figured I would take a shot with the brewery's flagship beer, the Black Star Double Hopped Lager, pictured below. 


Appearance: The beer has a dark golden clear appearance. It is highly carbonated, with a white head that provides some lacing.

Smell: The aroma, for lack of a better term, smells like most lagers. It reminded me a lot of Bud Light, unfortunately. Even our resident BL expert, Margaret agreed with me.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is very light and smooth, much like a light beer.

Overall: This beer reminded me way too much of the domestic light beers such as Bud or Miller light. On a hot day, it would work the less filling part of the tastes great/less filling battle for you fans of beer commercials. Not exactly my cup of tea or mug of beer as it were. I am hoping that the others will be more to my liking.

On a side note, the shirt is very comfortable and so far is the best thing to come from the trip.

http://www.greatnorthernbrewing.com/our_beers.php

Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. Man I am jealous of you. Barely a month into your beer journey and already a litany of craft beers under your belt. All they have out here in Costa Rica is Imperial and Carta Blanca. Nothing to write home about. However last week when Erin and her bridesmades were having their bridal tea, I grabbed the guys and took the Nola Brewery tour. So I will see your Great Northern Brewery tee and raise you aprrsonalized Nola taster's shirt. Have you heard about the new Nolan brew coming out in October?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Snazzy", my favorite single word in this post! Good stuff Mr. Manning ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. No other word seemed to do the shirt justice. It is quite nice. May be my new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry JT, I just noticed that your comments went to a spam folder and did not appear. Your Nola brewery tour sounds really cool. I need to do some tours for research. I have not heard about their new beer. What kind are they coming out with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are coming out with Mecha-Hoppazilla.

    ReplyDelete