Saturday, July 7, 2012

Happy Birthday! How sweet it is...

Today is my wife Margaret's birthday. What better present could I give her than to let her review a beer on the blog? Ok, I realize that would be a lame present for her, so I did get her something else. However, I did seek her input on one of the Great Northern Brewery beers that she brought home and drank.

Over the past couple of years, she has become a fan of fruit infused beers, such as Abita Brewery and Heiner Brau's strawberry offerings. I, on the other hand like my beers to taste like beer. Much like the fruits that are used, the beers have a limited seasonal run. By the time Margaret realized how much she liked them last year, they were off the shelves. 

In order to remedy this situation this year, for a 2 month period, anytime we saw it when we went out, we picked up a six pack of it. We now have a fridge full of strawberry beers and some warm ones on the counter. In case of nuclear disaster, Abita Strawberry will be the only beer served in our fallout bomb shelter. 

While in Montana, she tried the below pictured beer, the Wild Huckleberry wheat lager.



So what did she(we) think about it?

Appearance: The beer has a very clear pale yellow color. The picture makes it look more golden, however it is more pale, like a lemonade color. It is highly carbonated with a quickly receding white head.

Smell: The first aroma that hit me was the scent of a white wine. Using the berries in the beer must have had a similar grape affect like wine.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel and taste. Beer had a very sweet berry finish. Since I had never had huckleberries before, the taste was almost artificial, like a very sweet berry breakfast cereal.

Overall: We both liked the beer (I had about 3 sips). It was more palatable to me than the fruit beers that I have had in the past. I would not want this everyday, but it was a nice summer diversion. It was a winner for Margaret as well.

Happy Birthday Margaret!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment