Sunday, July 15, 2012

One month down

Google says that I have already been blogging for a month. In that month, I have tried and/or reviewed over new 15 beers. Not all of them were blog worthy With that in mind, I figured it would be a good time to put together a top 5 beers of the month (June-July). Is it too early to do a best of?

In reverse order, the top 5 are as follows:

5. Wheatfish Wheat Lager - Great Northern Brewery, Whitefish, MT

  • One of the beers Margaret brought home from her trip to MT. Refreshing wheat beer with a lemony taste. Cloudy appearance with a nice head and lacing. Very drinkable summer beer, which is most similar to Blue Moon. 

4. Stone Smoked Porter - Stone Brewing Company, Escondido, CA
  • A gift from a friend who is a home brewer, this dark beer had the best head and lacing of any that I tried this month. It is billed as a smokey Porter, however it was not the smokiest beer of the month (LA 31 Boucanee). Smoother and milder flavor than 2 other Porters that I reviewed this month. Very drinkable beer that went well with smoked meat.

3. Santo - St. Arnold Brewery, Houston, TX
    • A beer I originally tried at a BBQ place in New Orleans and was able to procure through a work friend who had gone to Houston for the weekend. Unfortunately not available here in Lafayette. Dark beer with burnt coffee roasted malt notes. Very smooth and drinkable. 


2. Snow Ghost Winter Lager - Great Northern Brewery, Whitefish, MT
    • The best of the beers that Margaret brought home from Montana. Dark reddish brown lager with nice carbonation and lacing. Although it is called a lager, it tasted more like a porter with some chocolate flavor. Really a nice surprise.


And the winner is...

1. Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery, Milton, Delaware
    • This one was a complete gift from my work friend who brought back some beers from Houston. See #3 on the list. Dark brown beer with a lasting tan head with nice lacing. Lots of caramel, chocolate and roasted malt flavor throughout. No bitterness noted and was very drinkable. Unfortunately, this beer will take some logistics in order to obtain. I will bring some back when I make my next Houston pilgrimage. I now look forward to trying some of the other offerings from this brewery. If they are like this one, I know I will like them. 


It is hard to believe that I have been doing this for a month. I really enjoy trying new beers and trying to describe what I like or do not like about them. I have learned a tremendous amount in just a few weeks. I appreciate all the feedback I have received, either through comments or offline discussions. I do appreciate those who have read the blog and indulged me in this hobby. 

In the past month, I have had over 900 page views (and before you ask, those do not include my own), from the US, Europe, Russia, Asia and Central America. I look forward to bringing you more info on beers in the upcoming months. Thanks for the support. 

Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment